- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, (49 credit hour cross-genre terminal degree, Creative Nonfiction Specialization): West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, WV, 2017.
- Bachelor Degree in English w/ specialization in Writing, Minor in Journalism: Glenville State College, Glenville, WV, 1994.
- Associate Degree in Liberal Arts: Washington State Community College, Marietta OH, 1992.
Library Director – Gilmer Public Library, September 2018-Present
Accounts payable, accounts receivable, program and staff management, event planning, grant writing, public relations, supervision, leadership, inventory, collection development, building management.
Assistant Librarian – Gilmer Public Library, October 2016-September 2018
Research assistance, circulation desk, display management, technical assistance, mini library management, program management, public relations, public service, collection curation.
Adjunct Instructor: Speech – Glenville State College; Winter 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018
Teaching Introduction to Public Speaking, focusing on organization, process, and practice of speeches to inform, persuade, and entertain.
Adjunct Instructor: English Foundations – Glenville State College; Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016
Teaching English Fundamentals, focusing on reading, understanding and writing the essay; and Speech, focusing on organization, research, and presentation.
Residency Assistant: West Virginia Wesleyan College MFA Program. (Winter Session 2018)
Assisting Program Director; managing check-in of students; welcoming Visiting Faculty and Writers; coordinating with caterers, security, maintenance; managing book sales for visiting writers and faculty; responding to issues and solving arising problems and glitches.
Publisher/Editor – Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine, Stumptown Publishing, LLC, Stumptown WV. 2007 – 2017
Coordinating columns, ads, etc. into monthly publication; invoicing, accounts payable; customer relations, sales, design, marketing.
Farm to School Coordinator – WV Office Of Child Nutrition, AmeriCorps Volunteer, October 2013-September 2014
Connecting local producers, farmers & growers to local schools; grant writing; marketing & recruitment; education.
Reporter/Columnist/Editor – The Calhoun Chronicle, Grantsville WV. 2004-2006
Covering & reporting on county-wide news events; photography, website design; writing a weekly column; meeting weekly deadlines.
Teacher – Hit The Ground Running, Calhoun County Board of Education. 2002
Teaching job interviewing and basic computer skills to low-income women facing the end of their government assistance in a grant-funded training program.
Freelance Graphic Artist / Copywriter / Publisher – Written & Read LLC, Stumptown WV. 2000-2004
Maintaining websites; creating & distributing online/email newsletter campaigns for Fun Inc. (Chicago IL) & Mr. Fun (Cleveland OH).
Desktop Publisher / Copy Designer – Office of Public Relations, Glenville State College, Glenville WV. 2000-2001
Designing/Maintaining college website; writing press releases/feature articles; designing ads & brochures; advising yearbook staff of 12.
Marketing Director / Graphic Designer / Staff Writer – Hampton Ridge Magic, (Now Fun, Inc.) Chicago, IL. 1996-2000
Creating a wholesale product catalog for 3500 items; designing product packaging; writing trick instructions; penning two magic books.
- Mountain Ink Literary Journal: Publisher, 2016-Present
- Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine: Editor, Publisher, Columnist, Layout Designer. September 2007-2017
- The Seasons of Audra State Park: Spring: Photographer, Copy Editor, Publisher. Winter 2008
- Encounter Calhoun (Travel Guide): Editor, Travel Writer, Layout Designer. Published by Calhoun Newspapers, April 2005
An excerpt from my introduction can be found here.
- Favorite Reflections – A Collection: Editor, Writer, Layout. Published by Calhoun Newspapers, November 2005
- A Calhoun County Christmas Sampler (Collection of Historical Stories): Editor, Layout. December 2005
- Thus Far – A Lifetime of Poetry: Publisher, Poet, Layout Designer. December 2005
- A Gilmer County Christmas Sampler (Collection of Historical Stories): Editor, Layout, Publisher. December 2004
- Gilmer Review (Travel Guide): Publisher, Travel Writer, Editor Layout Designer. April 2002
- Writing Samples can be found online here.
ADDITIONAL PUBLISHED WORKS
- “Shaken Foundations;” Mountains Upon Mountains: New Appalachian Nature Writing, April 2019, Bartram Publishing
- “Mentalpause;” Feminine Rising: Voices of Power & Invisibility, June 2019, Cynren Press
- “Little One;” Memoir Magazine, Finalist-Recovery Contest, October 2018.
- “New Wounds, Old Scars;” Entropy Magazine, January 2018
- “The Stink Plant;” (as it appeared in) GreenPrints Magazine, Winter 2015-16, 25th Anniversary Issue
- Foreword, Fireside Folklore of West Virginia; by Sheri Brake, Publisher: Raven Rock, March 2014
- “History is Revived at Calhoun’s Heritage Village;” Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, January 2007
- “Show Me Hikers Search for Rare Wildflowers;” Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, April 2007
- “Highlights of West Virginia;” Intelliguide Corporate, www.intelliguide.com. 2006
- “Reading Between The Lines;” monthly column for The Hur Herald, www.hurherald.com, 2008-2009
- “Off the Cuff;” a weekly column for The Calhoun Chronicle, 2004-2006
- “Folk Festival 2000-A Rich GSC Tradition;” Today’s Pioneer, Fall 2000
- 101 Amazing Magic Tricks with a Stripper Deck, Hampton Ridge Magic (now Fun Inc.), September 1997
- 101 Tricks with a Svengali Deck, Hampton Ridge Magic, September 1997
- Also published in The Trillium, The Glenville Democrat/ Pathfinder, The Marietta Times.
- Creative Play for Adults; Gilmer Public Library. (September 2018-Present)
- Friendly Fonts Writer’s Group Facilitator; Gilmer Public Library. (February 2017-Present)
- Adult Journaling Sessions; Gilmer Public Library Summer Learning Program. (June 2018-September 2018)
- Panel Participant; “How to Self-Motivate and Build Habits for the Writing Life,” West Virginia Wesleyan College. (Winter 2018)
- Conference Presenter: “Altered Books: Making Library Weeds into Creative Treasures,” West Virginia Library Association Annual Fall Conference. (November 2017)
- Summer Learning with Lisa Journaling Class; Gilmer Public Library. (Summer 2017)
- Altered Books Crafting Class; Gilmer Public Library. (February 2017-February 2018)
- Keynote Speaker, Gilmer County CEOS Annual Banquet. (2016)
- Back in Time Writer’s Workshop at Heritage Village; designer & facilitator. (October 2016)
- The Celtic Connection Read & Review Team; reviewing books released by the client on Amazon.com. (2015-2016)
- Basic Disaster Birth Support; PowerPoint, script, marketing, booklet, website creation, social media. (2015)
- Fun Incorporated Photographer & Copywriter, (2000-2004)
- Finalist – 2018 Memoir Magazine #Recovery Essay Contest
- Letter of Commendation – from Gilmer Public Library Board of Directors, July 2017
- Second Place, Nonfiction – West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2017
- Linda Culp Memorial Scholarship, Parkersburg Area Community Foundation, 2015
- Honorable Mention, Creative Nonfiction. West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2015
- Member, Ninth class of The State Journal’s Generation Next: 40 Under 40, 2006
- First Place, Best Columnist – Division 5, WV Press Association Newspaper Contest, 2003
- Second Place, Best Column – Division 5, WV Press Association Newspaper Contest, 2003
- Third Place, Poetry on Nature – West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2002
- Outstanding Young Woman on Campus – Glenville State College, 1994
Low Residency Audit (3 hours), Winter 2018: West Virginia Wesleyan College Low-Residency MFA Program.
The Ultimate Travel Writer’s Course, Fall 2004: American Writers & Artists Institute, Delray Beach, FL.
West Virginia Library Commission Annual Fall Conference, November 2018.
WV Writers, Inc. Annual Fall Conference, November 2018.
West Virginia Library Commission Annual Fall Conference, November 2017.
West Virginia Writers, Inc. Annual Summer Conference, June 2017.
West Virginia Small Farms Conference, February 2014.
Create WV Conference, October 2008, October 2016.
Continuing Education offered by
the Idaho Commission for Libraries:
Introduction to MARC Cataloging (1.5 hours), August 2017.
Basic Library Reference Sources (3 hours), July 2017.
Evaluating Reference Sources (2 hours), July 2017.
Library Ethics and Public Service (2 hours), July 2017.
Public Library Interlibrary Loans (1 hour), July 2017.
Library Collection Materials Selection (1.5 hours), June 2017.
Building a Collection (1.5 hours), June 2017
Collection Development Policy, February 2017. (1.5 credit hours.)
Library Merchandising, November 2016. (1.5 credit hours.)
The Library Reference Interview, November 2016. (2 credit hours.)
Introduction to Library Technical Services and Catalog Records, November 2016. (1.5 credit hours.)
Collection Assessment, November 2016. (1 credit hour.)
Library Collection Maintenance, November 2016. (2 credit hours.)
Continuing Education offered by
Marketing Outside the Library, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Incubate Creativity at Your Library, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Providing Constructive Employee Feedback, October 2018. (1.5 credit hours.)
Rural Resources & Funding, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Public Library Directors 101, October 2018. (3 credit hours.)
Weeding the Library Collection, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Directors ASK, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Tactics for Time Management & Organization, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Foundations of Interpersonal Communication, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Reader Advisory Services, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Onsite seminars through WV Uncovered
Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism
West Virginia University:
Web Content Management; Social Media Management incl. RSS Feeds, HootSuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Blogs, 2012.
Digital Photography, October 2012.
Video & Audio Production, November 2012.
Digital First Reporting & Online Revenue; January 2013.
Online seminars at Poynter News University:
Online Media Law: The Basics for Bloggers & Online Publishers, April 2012.
Copyright Law & Fair Use for Journalists, February 2012.
Ethics of Journalism & Freedom of Information, February 2012.
Community Journalism: Strategies for Managing Local Contributors, March 2012.
Blackboard Learn Basic Training, August 2017: Offered by Glenville State College, Facilitated by WVNet.
Basic Disaster Birth Support Certification, 2013: course through the Midwives Alliance of West Virginia.
GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Training, January 2014: via the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.
Post Harvest Handling of Fruits/Vegetables; Planning for Fall Markets; Marketing Local Foods; Pricing Foods for Market; Visual Merchandising & Packaging: 2014 classes through the Mid-Ohio Valley Grower’s Association.
- Member/Facilitator – Friendly Fonts Writer’s Group, 2017-Present
- Member – Nonfiction Author’s Association, 2018-Present
- Club Secretary – Rush Run Community Educational Outreach Services (CEOS), Grantsville WV, 2007-2016
- Member – West Virginia Writers, Inc., 2014-Present
- Member – Appalachian Writer’s Association, 2016-Present
- Member – Association of Writers and Poets, 2014-2018
- Member – Mid-Ohio Valley Growers Association, 2013-2015
- Weather Spotter, National Weather Service, 2004-Present
- Member – Calhoun/Gilmer Writer’s Group, 2002-2006
- Mini Librarian, Normantown, WV Mini Library, 2016-Present
- Adopt-A-Highway, Rush Run Road, 2007-2016
- Magazine collection for Veteran’s Administration Hospital Waiting Rooms, 2007-2016
- Canceled stamp collection for Disabled American Veteran Art & Craft Projects, 2007-2016
- Graphic Designer/Copy Writer, Mid-Ohio Valley Edibles Marketing Campaign, Spring 2014
- Project Leader, Supply Drive for Calhoun Domestic Abuse Response Team, April 2014
- Co-Organizer, Calhoun County Farmer’s Market, Spring 2007