- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, Creative Nonfiction Concentration: West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, WV, 2017.
- Bachelor Degree in English w/ specialization in Writing, Minor in Journalism: Glenville State College, Glenville, WV, 1994.
- Associate Degree in Liberal Arts: Washington State Community College, Marietta OH, 1992.
Assistant Librarian – Gilmer County Public Library, October 2016-Present
Research assistance, circulation desk, display management, technical assistance, mini library management, program management, public relations, public service, collection curation.
Adjunct Instructor – Glenville State College; Winter 2017
Teaching Introduction to Public Speaking, focusing on organization, process, and practice of speeches to inform, persuade, and entertain.
Adjunct Instructor – Glenville State College; Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016
Teaching English Fundamentals, focusing on reading, understanding and writing the essay; and Speech, focusing on organization, research and presentation.
Publisher/Editor – Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine, Stumptown Publishing, LLC, Stumptown WV. 2007 – Present
Coordinating columns, ads, etc. into monthly publication; invoicing, accounts payable; customer relations, sales, design, marketing.
Farm to School Coordinator – WV Office Of Child Nutrition, AmeriCorps Volunteer, October 2013-September 2014
Connecting local producers, farmers & growers to local schools, grant writing, marketing & recruitment, education
Reporter/Columnist/Editor – The Calhoun Chronicle, Grantsville WV. 2004-2006
Covered & reported on county-wide news events; photography, web site design; wrote weekly column; met weekly deadlines.
Teacher – Hit The Ground Running, Calhoun County Board of Education. 2002
Taught job interviewing and basic computer skills to low-income women facing the end of their government assistance.
Freelance Graphic Artist / Copywriter / Publisher – Written & Read LLC, Stumptown WV. 2000-2004
Maintained web sites; created & distributed online/email newsletter campaigns for Fun Inc. (Chicago IL) & Mr. Fun (Cleveland OH).
Desktop Publisher / Copy Designer – Office of Public Relations, Glenville State College, Glenville WV. 2000-2001
Designed/Maintained college web site; wrote press releases/feature articles; designed ads & brochures; advised yearbook staff of 12.
Marketing Director / Graphic Designer / Staff Writer – Hampton Ridge Magic, (Now Fun, Inc.) Chicago, IL. 1996-2000
Created wholesale product catalog for 3500 items; designed product packaging; wrote trick instructions, penned two magic books.
- Mountain Ink Literary Journal: Publisher, 2016-Present
- Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine: Editor, Publisher, Columnist, Layout Designer. September 2007-Present
- Encounter Calhoun (Travel Guide): Editor, Travel Writer, Layout Designer. Published by Calhoun Newspapers, April 2005
An excerpt from my introduction can be found here.
- Favorite Reflections – A Collection: Editor, Writer, Layout. Published by Calhoun Newspapers, November 2005
- A Calhoun County Christmas Sampler (Collection of Historical Stories): Editor, Layout. December 2005
- Thus Far – A Lifetime of Poetry: Publisher, Poet, Layout Designer. December 2005
- A Gilmer County Christmas Sampler (Collection of Historical Stories): Editor, Layout, Publisher. December 2004
- Gilmer Review (Travel Guide): Publisher, Travel Writer, Editor Layout Designer. April 2002
ADDITIONAL PUBLISHED WORKS
- “The Stink Plant;” GreenPrints Magazine, Winter 2015-16, 25th Anniversary Issue
- Foreword, Fireside Folklore of West Virginia; by Sheri Brake, Publisher: Raven Rock, March, 2014
- “History is Revived at Calhoun’s Heritage Village;” Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, January 2007
- “Show Me Hikers Search for Rare Wildflowers;” Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, April 2007
- “Highlights of West Virginia;” Intelliguide Corporate, www.intelliguide.com. 2006
- “Reading Between The Lines;” monthly column for The Hur Herald, www.hurherald.com, 2008-2009
- “Off the Cuff;” weekly column for The Calhoun Chronicle, 2004-2006
- “Folk Festival 2000-A Rich GSC Tradition;” Today’s Pioneer, Fall 2000
- 101 Amazing Magic Tricks with a Stripper Deck, Hampton Ridge Magic, September 1997
- 101 Tricks with a Svengali Deck, Hampton Ridge Magic, September 1997
- Also published in The Trillium, The Glenville Democrat Pathfinder, The Marietta Times.
Collection Development Policy, February 2017: Continuing Education Course offered by the Idaho Commission for Libraries. (1.5 credit hours.)
Library Merchandising, November 2016: Continuing Education Course offered by the Idaho Commission for Libraries. (1.5 credit hours.)
The Library Reference Interview, November 2016: Continuing Education Course offered by the Idaho Commission for Libraries. (2 credit hours.)
Introduction to Library Technical Services and Catalog Records, November 2016: Continuing Education Course offered by the Idaho Commission for Libraries. (1.5 credit hours.)
Collection Assessment, November 2016: Continuing Education Course offered by the Idaho Commission for Libraries. (1 credit hour.)
Library Collection Maintenance, November 2016: Continuing Education Course offered by the Idaho Commission for Libraries. (2 credit hours.)
Web Content Management; Social Media Management incl. RSS Feeds, HootSuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Blogs, 2012: seminar through WV Uncovered, Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism, West Virginia University.
Digital Photography, October 2012: workshop through WV Uncovered, Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism, West Virginia University.
Video & Audio Production, November 2012: workshop through WV Uncovered, Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism, West Virginia University.
Online Media Law:The Basics for Bloggers & Online Publishers, April, 2012 – Online course offered through NewsU.org
Digital First Reporting & Online Revenue; January 2013: classes through WV Uncovered, Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism, West Virginia University.
Copyright Law & Fair Use for Journalists, February 2012: webinar through Poynter News University, www.poynter.org.
Ethics of Journalism & Freedom of Information, February 2012: webinar through Poynter News University, www.poynter.org.
Community Journalism: Strategies for Managing Local Contributors, March 2012: webinar through Poynter News University, www.poynter.org.
Basic Disaster Birth Support Certification, 2013: course through the Midwives Alliance of West Virginia.
West Virginia Small Farms Conference, February 2014: classes via the West Virginia University Small Farms Center.
GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Training, January 2014: via the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.
Post Harvest Handling of Fruits/Vegetables; Planning for Fall Markets; Marketing Local Foods; Pricing Foods for Market; 2014: classes through the Mid-Ohio Valley Grower’s Association.
Visual Merchandising & Packaging, April 2014: classes through the Mid-Ohio Valley Grower’s Assocation.
The Ultimate Travel Writer’s Course, 2004: online course through American Writers & Artists Institute, Delray Beach, FL, www.awaionline.com.
- Friendly Fonts Writer’s Group Facilitator; Gilmer County Public Library. (February 2017-Present)
- Altered Books Crafting Class; Gilmer Public Library. (February 2017-Present)
- Keynote Speaker, Gilmer County CEOS Annual Banquet. (2016)
- Back in Time Writer’s Workshop at Heritage Village; designer & facilitator. (October 2016)
- The Celtic Connection Read & Review Team; reviewing books released by the client on Amazon.com. (2015-2016)
- Basic Disaster Birth Support; PowerPoint, script, marketing, booklet, web site creation, social media. (2015)
- Gilmer County Economic Development Association Web Site Manager, Photographer & Copywriter. (2000-2005)
- Fun Incorporated Web Site Manager, Photographer & Copywriter, (2000-2004)
- Visiting Speaker, Basic Marketing Class; Glenville State College. (Spring 2013)
- Visiting Speaker, Basic Marketing Class; FCI Gilmer via Glenville. (Winter 2007)
- Second Place, Nonfiction – West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2017
- Linda Culp Memorial Scholarship, Parkersburg Area Community Foundation, 2015
- Honorable Mention, Creative Nonfiction. West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2015
- Member, Ninth class of The State Journal’s Generation Next: 40 Under 40, 2006
- First Place, Best Columnist – Division 5, WV Press Association Newspaper Contest, 2003
- Second Place, Best Column – Division 5, WV Press Association Newspaper Contest, 2003
- Third Place, Poetry on Nature – West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2002
- Outstanding Young Woman on Campus – Glenville State College, 1994
- Club Secretary – Rush Run Community Educational Outreach Services (CEOS), Grantsville WV, 2007-2016
- Member – West Virginia Writers, Inc., 2014-Present
- Member – Association of Writers and Poets, 2014-Present
- Member – Mid-Ohio Valley Growers Association, 2013-2015
- Weather Spotter, National Weather Service, 2004-Present
- Member – Calhoun/Gilmer Writer’s Group, 2002-2006
- Mini Librarian, Normantown, WV Mini Library, 2016-Present
- Adopt-A-Highway, Rush Run Road, 2007-2016
- Magazine collection for Veteran’s Administration Hospital Waiting Rooms, 2007-2016
- Cancelled stamp collection for Disabled American Veteran Art & Craft Projects, 2007-2016
- Graphic Designer/Copy Writer, Mid-Ohio Valley Edibles Marketing Campaign, Spring 2014
- Project Leader, Supply Drive for Calhoun Domestic Abuse Response Team, April 2014
- Co-Organizer, Calhoun County Farmer’s Market, Spring 2007