Lisa self-published her first book when she was 12 years old. She typed and illustrated the pages, sewed the binding on her mother’s sewing machine, and bound the pages between two pieces of cardboard covered in red feed-sack material with white polka dots. That same year, her father bought her a camera.
She has since self-published four additional books, and served as ghost writer on two how-to books on magic tricks which have each sold more than 20,000 copies worldwide.
More recently, Lisa’s essay, “The Stink Plant” was featured in GreenPrints Magazine, the nation’s only literary journal sharing true stories of gardening experiences. Her essay “Mentalpause” was recently accepted for inclusion in Memoirs of the Feminine Divine: Voices of Power & Invisibility, and her essay, “Shaken Foundations” was selection for inclusion in a pending anthology, “Appalachian Nature.”
Over her 25+ year writing career, Lisa has worked in various fields and various genres. Her writing experience includes: product descriptions, technical writing, ad copy, press releases, web content, social media, tourism and travel, copy writing, marketing proposals, public relations promotions, magazine articles and essays, newspaper columns and reports. She also has experience with news, wedding, product and nature photography. (The photos on this page are some favorites from her collection.)
Lisa has received awards in the West Virginia Writers Association annual contest, and in the annual contest held by the West Virginia Press Association. A member of West Virginia Writers, Appalachian Writers and the Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Lisa recently completed her MFA in Creative Nonfiction.
Essays & Articles:
- “The Stink Plant” (As published in GreenPrints Magazine)
- “Lying Fallow” (As published in Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine)
- “Show Me Hikers Search for Rare Flowers” (As published in Wonderful WV Magazine
- “More than Just a Place” (As published in Encounter Calhoun)
- “History is Revived at Heritage Village” (As published in Wonderful WV Magazine
- “Burdens and Blessings” (As published in The Calhoun Chronicle)
- “Upper West Fork Park: Food, Music, and Fun” (As published in The Calhoun Chronicle)
Lisa and her husband Frank also create travel pieces when the opportunity arises. Previous destinations covered for Two-Lane Livin’ include: (photos not included online)
- Hillbilly Haven – Lewis County
- Audra State Park – Upshur County
- Faith Mountain – Gilmer County
- Lewisburg – Greenbrier County
- Addison Visitor’s Center and Gallery – Webster County
- Cedar Creek State Park – Gilmer County
- Holly River State Park – Webster County
For a full list of Lisa’s published works and projects, visit Lisa’s online resume‘.